Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Biting People is Wrong

I didn't. Well I haven't yet. But I came really, really close to it in Marks & Spencer today.

I love Christmas. I love cheesy Christmas songs. I love the whole thing. Mince-pies and Chrissie pudding and cards and carols and everything. But I hate, loathe and detest last minute Christmas shopping even more than I hate shopping in general. Unfortunately I had to go into the city centre (that's downtown to Americans) today and do some last-minute stuff. I hadn't got a present for one of my sisters yet. Every time I asked her what she wanted she said "Oh, don't buy anything, you don't have much money." Fine. So ask for something cheap then. Because even if she says not to buy anything you can bet your last farthing that she'll look wounded to the core if she doesn't get a pressie come Christmas Day!! So that's how I wound up in Marks & Sparks. I'm definitely not a Marks sort of person. But she is.

It would have been ok but two-thirds of the population of the British Isles all seemed to have chosen today to shop at our local M & S. And they were savages!! I tell you - there isn't a football hooligan on the planet who's half as vicious as a middle-aged, middle-class M & S shopper scenting a bargain. If one more of them had stuck me in the ribs with an over-size handbag, or stepped on my foot with stilettos I was going to bite. When I heard myself growl out loud at the woman who practically knocked me over in her haste to beat me to a bath oil gift basket I knew it was time to get out.

So I went to Cook Shop instead. An oasis of quiet. I found the perfect gift there, too. She's been grumbling for years that she hasn't got a decent butter dish. They had a whole shelf of them. I picked a nice, classic-style, white china one. Perfect. Now I just have to wrap it. That should be fun.

On a final note... aaargh... P&P updated. I've been lucky so far - E's had to deal with it. Bound to catch me eventually. *g*

Ze

3 comments:

E said...

Ze biting in your circumstance may have been wrong, but we all know at times biting can be very good.

ToonCat said...

Well done for not biting. I'm not sure I'd have managed it. Worst shopping experience ever: Marks & Spencer on Christmas Eve. Never ever again. It was years ago and I'm still traumatised!

Happy Holidays All!

zero2aries said...

E said...
Ze biting in your circumstance may have been wrong, but we all know at times biting can be very good.


ohhhhh yeahhhh