Friday, August 11, 2006

Pheasant McNuggets Contest Entry 8

More fun with food....
ok - i'll bite.

Some years ago ... ok make that about 20 years ago I became the proud owner of a microwave oven. It came with a little recipe book which I soon had tried and was wanting to try some more recipes.

Now - I ask you - just how hard can it be to cook something in a microwave?

Well - I found my favourite chocolate cake recipe, mixed it up and put it into the microwave to cook. I knew I had to cook it for less time than in a conventional oven and figured that cooking on high for 1/3 of the time should be just right.

At the ding of the timer i took the cake out and left it to cool on the bench. Once it was a little cooler I took the knife and proceeded to cut the cake ... well - i tried to cut the cake - it wouldn't cut! A thin layer around the cake was soft~ish, the rest was charcoal! We even tried breaking it in half - the axe couldn't go through it!!

We put the cake out for the birds but even they weren't going to try eating it.

Jo Dunning ... aka lessa aka kiwilessa


Yikes. Cake even birds wouldn't touch. I have a really good way to make mini cakes in the microwave using a Tupperware cup with a venting lid. Cal likes to have them at tea parties. Hit me up, Jo, if you want to try that microwave cake experiment on a smaller scale.

You can read Jo's fiction at The Academy of Bards: www.academyofbards.org/authors/lessa.html. Check 'em out and thank her for sending in her bad cooking experience.

If you'd like to participate (and we'd love it if you did) just write up your piece and email it to us at updates@uberetc.com or you can click on one of our names here at the web site.

Tamara

No comments: