Thursday, August 24, 2006

The Kool-Aid Ramble

You know food can also mean beverage. At least in my world it can. One of my earliest memories of a mishap with food is learning as a teenager that my mother was wrong. As a small child they finally figured out after months of vomiting that I had some intolerance to milk. Hence I survived by juice and water for many years.

As I got older, I think around 7 or so, I started going to my friends' houses to play. When I was there I was offered Kool-Aid. Now mind you, in the early '70s in my neck of the woods this was the drink of choice for most children. However, I was an oddball because every time I was served this drink in a glass of ice it tasted way too sweet.

What's so odd is that I drank gallons of the stuff at home. All those different flavors and colors were wonderful. I loved making it in our nifty glass pitcher that was shaped just like the Kool-Aid mascot. It was grand.

All was good until one afternoon when my mom left on some errand and had forgotten to make a pitcher. The babysitter decided to make it for us. She went on to open a nifty pack of black cherry, one of my favorites, and poured it into the cool water in the pitcher. I started stirring, happily waiting for my first taste.

Then came the shocking revelation as she went to pour a large amount of sugar into the pitcher. I screamed wanting to know what she was doing to my juice. She stood there stunned, holding the cup of sugar. Once she'd figured out why I was coming unglued, she explained to me that Kool-Aid needed sugar. I didn't believe her so she showed me the directions, reading them carefully and shattering my view of my mother's ability for years to come.

To this day I don't drink Kool-Aid--with or without sugar. Actually I think perhaps I've had it ten times total since that fateful day. Water is my drink of choice now...simple, easy and abundant.

One more reminder before I let you all rush off to the updates, don't forget we have a nifty low volume Yahoo group where these wonderful updates and rambles can be sent directly to your email for ease and convience.

Elisa

4 comments:

Tamara said...

Bummer. The magic charm is gone.

Tamara said...

BTW...Kool-Aid is a little nasty but Kool-Aid without sugar?!? That's just wrong.

Anonymous said...

Kool-Aid nasty?!! Surely you jest...Tropical Punch Kool-Aid is manna from heaven!

Tamara said...

But what's Tropical Punch Kool-Aid with no sweetener? Nasty manna from heaven probably.