Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Pheasant McNuggets Contest Entry 16

Here's one from the person who inspired this contest. Keen.
Exploding Muffins

At various times in my life, someone has decided to prove to me that I am not cursed when it comes to the kitchen.

My cousin Annie gave it a go back when I was in college. She was Super Mom and decided we'd make muffins -- despite my protests.

We used a tried and true recipe of hers that she used often. I have no idea what went in it other than the usual baking stuff, and we poured it into the muffin pan and went off to play with her kids for a few minutes.

The oven timer dinged, and Annie sent me to check on "our" muffins, which I did. She didn't believe me when I came back and told her they had exploded in the oven.

She hauled me back in to the kitchen, figuring that the muffins had just risen over the sides of the pan or some such, but when she opened the oven door she saw that not only were the muffins not overflowing the pan, but there was hardly any batter left in the pan because it was all dripping off the ceiling of the oven.

To this day, we have no idea what caused the carnage, but Annie did let me slide on any further cooking lessons.

Beth


I can just see Beth walking into the room and informing her cousin, totally deadpan, that the muffins exploded. I'd like to say you've got an anti-cooking aura around yourself, Beth, but I know the sloppy joes turned out great so it can't be that.

I must tell y'all that every time E is set to update and use her Kool-aid ramble we've always gotten another entry for the Pheasant McNuggets Contest. I told her it's our magic charm. I'm wondering if the charm will work again because this time my night got the surprise contest ramble. Don't let me down. Make me believe in the mystic power of the unused Kool-aid ramble. Send us your scary food story for tomorrow's update.

Tamara

No comments: