Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Pheasant McNuggets Contest Entry 17

Hot diggity dog we got another ramble.
I've only recently found your site and have been entertained with the stories of the trials and tribulations of cooking. I hesitated, but guess I'll send you my own sorry tale!

I had just moved into my first apartment and was hosting my first Thanksgiving with my brother and sister. With the exception of the turkey, it was my job to do all the cooking - squash, mashed potatoes, creamed onions, all the favorites of my family. When it came time to mash the potatoes, I made a slight error in judging the amount of milk to use and the potatoes ended up 'slightly' runny. So, me being the novice, I listened to my older brother who simply said "Add some flour to thicken 'em up". Needless to say, it was the last time I ever listened to him and his cooking advice! No potatoes with dinner, and it's a favorite story to be told time and again whenever I'm with my family!

Then there's the time I was making biscuits and meant to double the recipe, but ended up quadrupling it...

~gail


Ooh. Flour to the mashed potatoes. I'm glad you don't listen to your brother when it comes to cooking. Although...you might have been able to turn those mashed taters into potato pancakes with the addition of an egg or two. Seems like that's what I remember my grandma doing whenever she'd make them.

I just have one question...what do creamed onions taste like? I've had creamed corn but have never been faced with the choice of whether or not to try creamed onions. I must admit, the idea of creamed onions scares me a bit.

Tamara

No comments: