Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Too Hot, Too Humid

My brain won't work. Except in cranky mode. It seems to be doing quite well in that today.

I was standing in the garden just now, trying to get cool, and I looked up at the moon. (It's dark here and there's a bright half-moon playing hide-and-seek in the scattering of clouds. Hope the clouds mean rain - maybe it'll be less humid if it does.) Anyway there I was, looking up at the moon and thinking about the up-coming anniversary. In just under three weeks it will be the 40th anniversary of the first time a human being set foot on another planet.

Think about that for a bit. A human being set foot on another planet. Ok maybe the moon isn't really a planet but the sense of awe, the feeling of wonder is still the same. Six landings, twelve people. That's all. Just twelve people have stood on another world and looked back at this one. What do you do, what can you possibly do, after you've done that?? Do you always yearn to do it again?? I wish I could have done that. I wish I could feel for just a moment what it feels like to go into space. Maybe some day it will be as commonplace as a flight across the Atlantic which in some ways will be great. But it will be a shame to no longer have that sense of wonder.

See you next week. Good night and may your God/s go with you.

Ze

No comments: