Wednesday, July 22, 2009

More on the moon

Not from me - guest ramble in response to mine of yesterday.

    July, 20th 1969: All I can say is that the frenzy about the moon landing didn't make it into my day care / Kindergarten class, then. But I also can't remember there being as much of a fuss about it for the twentieth or the thirtieth anniversary. So, why? Anniversary wise 2019 would have been the better choice.

    Two days ago one of our TV stations sent a special about the first moon mission, between 1 and 5 am. I had some work to finish and the TV was running in the background to keep me from falling asleep. But then the 'live documentary' started, and despite the annoying commentary and the inadequate translations I was mesmerised from the start. (Of course no more work was done that night and I'm still trying to catch up.)

    Was it real or not? With all the botched up missions NASA has had ever since the last of the moon missions it's no wonder that people start to doubt. Sending people to the moon is easier, I think, than keeping them in a stable orbit. Still, I hope that I'll get old enough to see the first human being, preferably someone from an international team, set their foot on Mars. And I hope that then I'll be able to pay more attention than I did during the landing of Apollo 11. I was too young then, so, I'll hope that I will not be too senile in the future.

    Your post got me wonder about the recollections of others about the Apollo mission, and though I know that my ramblings do not really count as such, I still would like to hear more, and it does not have to be about the real event but also about one anniversary or the other, and I don't even want to start thinking about the possibilities of fanfiction in that regard.

    Sabine (aka romansilence)


In response to what Sabine said about her rambles not counting and for all those of you out there who think that your ramble won't count, or the things you do in life aren't as special as someone else, this is something a friend of mine once told me. She knew a chap who worked as a janitor. He spent his life sweeping and mopping floors in corridors and toilets. These corridors were in the buildings used by the scientists at NASA. When asked what he did for a living he would answer "I helped to put a man on the moon." Think about it. And think of yourself in the same way he did.

Goodnight and may your God/s go with you

Ze

No comments: