Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Burma

I'm a little late with the updates tonight, (it's gone 1am here - I'll be asleep on my feet tomorrow), because I've been out watching a special showing of a brand new movie called Burma VJ. It was premiered in 40 cinemas across Britain - all connected to the BAFTA cinema in London where there was a Q&A session after the showing. It's a good moving. About some damned courageous VJs (video journalists). The ordinary citizens of Burma who put their lives at risk to film the brutality and oppression that they see everyday. And the protests against the military junta. And who transmit that film across the world.

There's amazing footage of the protests of 2007 and some of Aung San Suu Kyi who was elected as leader with the kind of majority governments in Europe & the USA can only dream of, and promptly arrested & imprisoned.

I knew a fair bit of the history of these events and the struggle between the ruling junta (who want to permanently control the country they call Myanmar) and the pro-democracy movement and the ordinary citizens (who call the country by it's old name Burma). But this film told me things I didn't know.

If you're interested in what happened or have no idea but want to know then you'll find this fascinating. Go & see it if you get a chance. Well worth six quid.

Ze

No comments: