Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Eagle Has Landed

Forty Years ago I heard those words for the first time. Forty years. My God. I think that's probably the last happy memory I have of my childhood. Six months later it all went pear-shaped. But at that moment, on that day, life was good.

I sat in complete awe, overwhelmed by the sense of wonder, as I watched a human being step onto another world for the very first time. I still have that sense of wonder. I never lost it. I never became indifferent, as so many did, to the subsequent landings. I watched whatever coverage I could (there wasn't as much and it was never live) of all of them. I've followed it all over again this past month, checking day-by-day in much the same way I did back then. And a couple of days ago as I watched video of that first step I got just as much of a lump in my throat as I did back the first time.

Oh I know the conspiracy theorists say it didn't happen (Lord, don't you Americans love your conspiracies *g*) but they really aren't thinking straight. One person can keep a secret. Two people even. But there were six landings - six - 12 people stood on the moon. Close to half a million people worked on, assisted with or were otherwise involved in, the Apollo programme. Half a million people cannot keep a secret for forty years. Face it guys. It happened. And it was magic!!

Twelve people walked on another world and gazed down on this one. I would give my eye teeth to have been number thirteen.

Ze

No comments: