Wednesday, July 29, 2009

'Tis raining cats, 'tis raining dogs

'Tis pouring from the skies. 'Tis fun for fish, 'tis fun for frogs, but not for butterflies.

Oh boy is it ever raining. I mean, I like rain (not as much a E does but still...). I'm English, I'm used to rain. But this?? This is crazy. Feels more like November than July.

I've been having fun, working after work these past few weeks as a steward for Shakespeare in the Park in Northernhay Gardens. Romeo & Juliet. I work it even though it's unpaid because for every two performances you work you're entitled to a free ticket to see it. I've got a couple or three more performances to steward but I've done enough to earn my freebies. Unlike similar things in the USA it's not free. In fact it's fairly expensive considering you're not under cover at all and if it rains you get wet. They actually had to abandon Sunday's matinee halfway through the first act. It was raining too hard and the stage area was becoming dangerous. Typical. We get to go home after we're already soaked to the skin.

So tomorrow night we're trying again. Weather permitting (must find a virgin to sacrifice to the weather gods), I'll be watching the show, accompanied by my cousin & my nephew. My nephew who, in spite of being a typical, girl-crazy, boozing & clubbing going-on-twenty young man, is actually following the family tradition and being nuts about Shakey. R&J is his favourite play too.

And for the record it is a tragedy not a romance. Murder and a double suicide are not romantic just because they involve a couple of horny teens. The play is about the stupidity of family feuds and the destruction hatred causes. I always get a wtf moment when I hear people say "it's like Romeo & Juliet". All I can think is "Your relationship is about fighting & murder & suicide & losing your only child to a feud?? Wow??" It's as bad as those folk who ask for I will Always Love You or Every Breath You Take to be played at their wedding...did they listen to the words?? One's about leaving and one's about a stalker. I do like Shakey though. The man could certainly turn a phrase.

Goodnight and may your God/s go with you.


Ze

No comments: