Thursday, May 17, 2007

Ramble from Linda

Part two of Linda's ramble from last night.

I Fought the Fan and the Fan Won!!

As we left yesterday's ramble we had find out that I had a massive black eye. How on earth did that happen and did it ruin my first unofficial Mother's Day? Let me set up the scene....

I have a birth defect that limits my walking to short periods of time without the use of a cane or walker around the house. On bad days I have to use a wheelchair. I have two bedrooms where I have knocked out the wall between them to create one large room for my own use. On one side I have a living room area and the other half is my bedroom/computer room. In the arch separating the two rooms, I have a floor fan that was cooling off the bedroom. To get into the room I have to step over the power cord. The Fan has been there for 5 weeks without any problems. Not this night.

As I went to step over it, the cord suddenly attacked and lassoed one of my toes. Caught off-balance I started to go down right into the fan. Knowing that I was going down and there was nothing I could do to stop myself, I pushed myself to the right hoping to hit the bed. I missed it by 6 inches or so. Instead I slammed myself face first into the table next to the bed, hitting the edge with my left eyebrow. Then I found myself on the floor. I had fallen and had no idea how to get myself back up. I could feel my eyebrow swell as I tried to figure out how to get up and get help.

I finally got myself sitting up to discover a monster of a rug burn on my left knee. I was on the verge of panic when I realized that even if I could reach the phone to call my brother who was sleeping three rooms down from me, my door was locked.

At this point my left eye was now swollen shut. I finally figured out a way to get up without doing too much damage to my already beat up body. Once up I found out that nothing was broken or out of place. The room on the other hand took a hell of a beating. Everything on the table, books, papers, pill bottles, water bottles was thrown all over the place. And the evil fan was destroyed.

I got Bill up to help me get my room back together and to get me some ice for my eye. He kept telling me to go to the ER. I told him I was not going to spend 5 to 6 hours waiting just to be told I had a black eye. Plus everyone there would have thought he punched me.

It is now a couple of days later. The swelling is down so I can at least open my eye. The eyebrow area is turning a lovely shade of green/yellow with a hint a purple. The eyelid on the other hand is a blood purple. The eyebrow area that took the hit hurts like hell and I still have a massive headache. I tell you, this almost 50 year old body is not very happy with me right now.

After getting over the shock of seeing me like this, the girls find it funny that I have a black eye. So the girls treated me to a Mother's day of being pampered and told that I was not allowed out of bed. When I showed up in Victoria's classroom Monday afternoon, she took great pleasure telling her classmate that...I fought the fan and the FAN won.

Linda


LOL, damn fans! With that in mind let's all wish Linda the best. May your colorful eye settle back to its normal shades soon.

Enjoy your updates.

Elisa

No comments: