Friday, May 25, 2007

Insert Alice Cooper Song Here

Yes, School's out and at least one of my children is happy about that fact. Cal will miss going for his half day of fun.

Duncan has had a less fun time this fifth grade year and it's pretty much because of his tendency to chat. Yes, my son is a talker. Fifth grade year is the year they decide to really get tough with the kids to prepare them for Middle school. He's had his folder signed so many times for talking I stopped being surprised by it. It doesn't help that his teacher this year was new to the school and new to fifth grade. Bless her heart she's bound to be overzealous until she gets into the groove. It made for a tough year for Duncan.

Here's a nice story. It's the last day of school and Cal (along with all the half day Pre K and Kindergarten classes) went for the morning session. This meant we were out by 10:30 and decided to exit the school through the doors going by Duncan's class. I walked by one of the fifth grade rooms and noticed my son sitting all alone (except for Mr. Carpenter who was checking his email) looking at a textbook. All of the other fifth graders were in Duncan's homeroom class watching a movie. I poked my head in and asked, "Did you get in trouble on the last day of school?" He nodded yes. "Talking?" Yes again. That was the story of his life this year, poor chataholic kid.

When Cal and I picked him up I found out more. Yes, he was talking but he informed me that it was much better than watching the video which was a movie about football. This was said with much disgust. I admit that we've raised him to have a healthy disdain for the organized religion of football practiced by most here in Oklahoma.

Tamara

No comments: