Friday, July 28, 2006

Ramble from Beth and a Contest!

Hallelujah! We've conned...er cajoled...a friend into rambling for us tonight. Beth recently moved from Texas to Wales and we've been bugging her to start rambling for us about her experiences getting used to a new country. Here is, hopefully, the first of many rambles from Beth.
Housewifery

I recently packed up all I owned, including my two dogs, and traveled 6,000 miles from Texas to Wales to move in with my partner (sweetie, that she is.) Now, after being a working stiff since the age of 13, I suddenly find myself rather blissfully unemployed and playing the housewife.

It's really kinda fun, most days. The very best part is that I can have a nap when I need it, and after battling a chronic fatigue problem for the past 8 years that's no small blessing. I also love the fact that I can be sound asleep, yet still accomplishing something - for reasons I don't really understand, our washing machine takes two hours to do a load, so I can wander off while it's at it and not feel like a total lazy bum.

Not every day is fun and games, though. I cleaned out the oven yesterday - it hadn't been done in far too long, and I had the misfortune to discover my partner's repulsively impressive collection of rancid grease. It took me as long to clean up the mess from cleaning the oven as it did to clean the oven!

One role I despise however, is that of cook. Usually Val handles that and I do the dishes, but she's working really late this week so I've taken on the chore myself. So far, I've stayed pretty close to my standard scrambled eggs repertoire, but tonight I'm venturing into the uncharted territories of Sloppy Joes. Keep your fingers crossed for me, and actually, feel free to offer any advice you have on removing Sloppy Joe stains - chances are I'm going to need it!

Beth


Beth is familiar with the online fiction world from being an avid reader and beta for a few authors. She also writes a wee bit. Go read her wonderful Life With Granny essays here: www.e-scribblers.com/goodman/. Pay particular attention to Pheasant McNuggets.

In keeping with Beth's ramble for tonight (and Pheasant McNuggets) we thought it would be fun to have a little ramble contest. What we'd like to hear from you is your worst cooking story. You can be the perpetrator of the cooking disaster or someone near and dear to you can have done the deed. It doesn't matter who dealt it, we want to hear about it.

Ideally we'd like to include these as rambles at Uber Etc. for everyone to read. If you're up for that, email us. If you'd like to post anonymously we can do that but please let us know when you send the story.

The deadline for the Pheasant McNuggets Contest will be August 31. After August 31, we'll round up all of the winners and have an update with links to every entry so y'all don't have to go hunting through the archives. The winners will be selected by the folks who visit this site and choose to vote.

Okay, I hear you asking me, "Tamara, just what the heck is in this for me?" Well, besides the praise and admiration of your fellow femslash addicts you could be the proud owner of some lesbian fiction. I must be honest here. You're gonnna get lesbian fiction that E and I didn't care for that much. We figured it was a good way to clean out books we didn't enjoy and maybe, just maybe, a book we didn't like will become your favorite. Stranger things have happened.

So...sharpen your pencils, limber up your typing fingers and send us those cooking horror stories.

Tamara

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

From Texas to Wales?!!! That's going to be one hell of a culture shock. :)

Tamara said...

Knowing Beth I bet it wasn't too bad. She's quite the researcher.