Friday, December 28, 2012

Ramble from Joan

Yay! I get to post a ramble from Joan.
Show, don't tell.

For those of you who don't write yourselves, this only affects you when you put down a story for being boring. For those who write, it's a ground rule. To apply that rule is not as obvious as one could wish, though.

It's not that I have not read countless advice on the topic, even with examples. But it only really hit home when my editor commented 'SDT' on a part I had never been satisfied with to begin with -- I just didn't know how to make it better.

The part in question was to women describing their respective jobs to one another. Like this:

-- long monologue, followed by "And you?" -- long monologue.

When I seemed to be (and, admittedly was) unable to do anything about that, my editor lost her patience (I think:) and suggested breaking that first monologue with a question like "But how do you..."

And suddenly, I saw the light. I rewrote the entire section as a dialogue. And just prayed that she would approve. By the time I was finished, I was getting cross-eyed staring at the part.

She said, "Much more readable, now." /me did a silly dance!

You see: My editor did not tell me, but she showed me how to improve the story. SDT at its best.

Joan

Light night. I'll let you get to reading.

Tamara

No comments: