Monday, December 17, 2012

Ramble from Joan

Feeling lucky, Monday and I don't have to come up with words as Joan once again shares with us.
Some of you might recall that a publisher (Ylva-Verlag) is interested in publishing my story "On the Road". Meanwhile, I've been contacted by the editor and I want to share the experience.

I consider -- well, considered -- myself a careful reader. No longer. I cannot believe how many things I have let slip by, or have nevereven been aware of. Example: -Her voice softened, "So I take it that I'm invited?"- Wrong! You don't describe the sound of a voice before it has sounded. Argh! Besides, not putting the example in a paragraph of its own would probably earn me a red mark from my editor as well. And the exclamation mark after "Wrong" might result in "Use exclamations
only sparingly."

It's a very chastening experience. (I would have liked to put an exclamation mark after the previous sentence, but God forbid she reads this ramble -- and I've used the term "exclamation mark" far too often in this short text.)

Call me a masochist, but this is the very reason I agreed to pull my story from the web: the opportunity of working with a pro. I may be getting more than I asked for, but *wow* do I learn things! (exclamation mark justifiable here, I think -- but it might be better put after the closing parenthesis :)

So all of you scribblers/writers out there: I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Get.Yourselves.Beta.Readers. Hug them, love them, nourish them. It is not *virtually* impossible to be your own beta, it is *absolutely* impossible. Believe a once-proud e-scribbler! (excl... oh, shut up!)

Dedicated to my editor, S.

Joan

Editing is always a good idea and appreciated by many of us. On that note enjoy those updates.

Peace, Health and Happiness.

Elisa

No comments: