Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Mince Pies

I do so love mince pies. I'll only eat them in December. As far as I'm concerned - mince pies are for Christmas, hot-cross-buns are for Easter, crumpets are for winter, strawberries are for summer. Yes, you can now buy these things all year round, but it's not the same. They're only special if they're limited.

I have a fair bit of trouble finding vegan mince pies in the shops. Sainsbury's "basics" were vegan but they've stopped making those. They've replaced them with mince puffs - which are not the same. Even the Co-op pies aren't vegan.

My sister said, "Why don't you make your own". My response was, "Are you effing serious!! I can set the kitchen on fire just heating a tin of beans, if I try actually baking my own pies I'm going to make the Great Fire of London look like a glow-worm!! I'll probably burn the whole of Devon and Cornwall to ashes!!"

She thought about that for a moment and agreed that it probably wasn't the best idea. Then she said, "Get our cousin to bake them for you then, idiot". I did consider that as she does the cooking anyway (I clean up afterwards). But it seemed a bit too much of an imposition really, given the quantities I eat. She'd be baking non-stop from now til Christmas.

Eventually I found some, in the least likely place. The bargain-basement, few-famous-brands, German owned, supermarket chain Lidl. They had pies that are completely dairy-free. In packs of 12. Brilliant.

I bought six packs.

That should last me til Christmas Day.

I hope.

Ze

No comments: