Tuesday, July 31, 2012

On Manners

Tomorrow I'll rave about the Olympics. We have a guest ramble today.

    Hi. For those who may have a vague recollection of my 'Story for Christmas'…I have another in the same vein!!

    I was moved to ramble after reading of Ze’s glorious efforts to provide a ‘day at work’ for Barbara, several weeks ago. I have to say that you may not be a physical hugger Ze, but your actions speak to the enormous heart you have and that you are, obviously, a deep well of the metaphysical hugs that fuel many folks’ lives. A smile…a wave…simple gifts.

    During my walks into the valley below our cottage, where I shop and chat and people watch, I experienced several events that alternately raised my spirits, gave me hope - and brought me down.

    Our wee town, like many others, has its share of young folk on skateboards and bikes, riding on pavements and in pedestrian areas. On this day, my polite and measured requests to them to be more careful were met with sneers and rude gestures. My fellow citizens ‘tutted’ and looked away. As a retired Deputy Head of a large high school, I decided to fix them with my best gimlet eye. I am assured by my ex-pupils that this look froze the blood of many in my teaching days. I was surprised and pleased to find it still worked, and the miscreants left with extravagant wheelies and other displays of bravado. I heaved a sigh…

    Then as I walked past our Cenotaph, I found two different lads climbing on it. I was incensed and called out to them. They immediately looked very contrite and when I asked if they knew what the monument stood for, they looked ashamed and nodded. They walked away, quietly and thoughtfully. Phew...score 2!! This time I was applauded by several folks sitting outside a café. I had to ask myself why they had not reacted to the disrespect?

    Then, as I walked a narrow pavement, a family approached. Mum was in deep conversation with an older child but two wee lads, about 5 or 6 years old, quickly pressed themselves against the shop window to allow me to pass. I stopped and thanked them, and praised Mum for her offspring’s thoughtful good manners. Wee lads beamed and squirmed in embarrassment and Mum beamed with pride.

    My heart was lifted and I strode off to the local supermarket. On entering the restroom, I saw a young lass about 10 years old entering a stall. She saw me and came out and offered me the stall. The equivalent of giving up your seat to an elder on the bus!! Again I was able to praise her to her Mum as she exited the other stall. We exchanged encouraging words that there are many wonderful young folks around and that we should look for the good things they do and applaud them. Too often only the bad news reaches our ears. The wee lass beamed and gave me a thumbs up!!

    You see, metaphysical hugs work like a dream and should, in an ideal world, be seen in greater measure than the necessary admonishments due, sometimes, to others, less socially aware.

    Please don’t think me some kind of ‘good manners’ vigilante, I am a student of human nature and still find so much more in us to be glad for than not!!

    Mel R AKA Scribingbard


Excellent work there, Mel. Courageous, too - it could have turned nasty, glad it didn't.

Ze

No comments: