Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Film

Ok - first things first. An author (and regular reader of this here nonsense) is selling autographed copies of her published (in print form) novel and has an offer on an ebook in order to fund a small domestic emergency. If you're interested checkout her blog LZ's Blog post.

Second. Redhope's archive page for fanfic of Terminator:The Sarah Connor Chronicles is holding a Christmas Contest. See Here for details.

Right. I was head:desking along with Joan when I read her ramble the other day. Fancy not watching a film because it's monochrome!! All right - Dietrich couldn't act her way out of a wet paper bag but who cares - it's Dietrich!!. I can't begin to count the number of truly brilliant films that person will never experience because of this. They'll never see the incredible chemistry between Bogie & Bacall. And how sexy a woman can be fully-clothed and simply saying "You know how to whistle". They'll never see the perfect (and heart-breaking) depictions of the futility of war that are the original All Quiet on the Western Front or La Grande Illusion. Never become enthralled by Film Noir. Never be lost in the poetry of Orphee. Or laugh like an idiot over an Ealing Comedy. Or a Laurel and Hardy caper.

I just don't understand it. I mean - I could understand trying a particular film & not liking it. (I never could see the fascination with Brief Encounter - I laugh in all the wrong places *g*). Or disliking a particular actor. (Olivier - talk about over-rated!!) Or a particular style, or director. But to dismiss anything up to fifty years of films simply because they're in monochrome... What happens in a modern director gets artistic & decides to shoot in b/w then?? (They do sometimes).

I don't get it. But then - I'm so bloody old-fashioned that I love silent movies. Not the comedies. (Though I think Buster Keaton's a genius). No - I love the dramas (melodramas really). Broken Blossoms. Way Down East. The Wind. Metropolis. The original Nosferatu. Battleship Potemkin (Potyomkin really but English speakers always butcher it). Pandora's Box. Gish and Garbo and Brooks and Fairbanks. Hell - I even own a copy of Birth of a Nation. (Brilliant cinematography & directing - way ahead of its time - but oh God the storyline is evil.)

And don't get me started on books. I'm with the bloke who built the Time Machine (the version played by Rod Taylor not the dire remake). When he's shown the remains of the library, by the Eloi, and remarks that it tells him a lot about them. Bah. Humbug.

Enjoy your reading. Catch you tomorrow.

Ze

No comments: