Saturday, September 19, 2009

Ramble from Marilee

Words from Marilee tonight. Yay!
Hello,

You would think, at my age (56), 'playing' on the floor would be something I had outgrown....nope.

I can't really say 'playing ' is the right word. I wasn't suppose to be there. I had no intention of getting 'up close and personal' with the rug....but I did.

I fell.

I fell hard!

Somehow, 'rug burn' always seem to have a different meaning....but I have to tell you, that is what I have on one side of my right knee. There is a feeling of tingle and numbness...it hurts.

It all happened innocently enough. Accidents always do, don't you know?

I had put stuff in my dryer, come through the kitchen, turned off the light, took a step into the hall, then a step into my bedroom.

That rug has laid there for 6 years. I have taken care of it....made sure it was clean, it was laid flat (so I thought) and have managed to keep a lot of furniture off of it.

How am I repaid? The sucker had a bit of a 'bubble' at one end....exactly where I was stepping.

Any other time, I would have had slippers on, but not this time. I was barefoot...and as I took my next step into the room, the rug got caught between the 3rd and 4th toe....no where to go but down and man, did I do that.

I missed the desk with my head, my bed frame with my shoulder and the chest of drawers with my hip. How....???? I have no idea because I am not small in structure (ok, I am over weight) and the space between all this furniture isn't a whole lot.

All of me fell...well...pretty much 'flat' except for the right knee.

I laid there for a while. I wasn't 'dazed' just busy praying that I hadn't broken a bone and that the TV would not come off the chest of drawers because there was no way I could get out of the way.

It took several minutes of slow movement to make sure I was 'ok'....until I moved the knee......

Anyone reading this live in Ga,? Maybe the far west part of Tenn., or Ky.,? Did you happen to hear a 'OH! SH--!!!' around 9 pm last wednesday night and couldn't figure where it came from? Well, let your wondering be no more...it was me!

It took some time to roll over, get myself against the bed and then pull myself up.

Years ago, I played softball...from pre-teen, to teen, to women's league. Have had the same knee cap turned 'in' and 'out' because of getting hit and my attempt to slide. I thought I knew what to expect....

Trust me, it was nothing like that!

The first visit to the doctor was a quick exam....ice it, prop it up, stay off of it and take the Naproxen 2Xs a day.

OK.....when I am the only one in the house and something has to be done....I do it. If I wait on my brother...well, I go ahead and do it.

This past week, we had a cousin from Indiana come and visit.

Did I stay in bed? Did I keep ice on the knee? Did I stay off of it?

If you can't figure it out, let me help you ....... the answer would be 'NOPE!'

Oh, I did take the med and I did do the rest BUT only after I spent 8 hours with my cousin at my sister's house.

Let me tell all of you kids.....if you ever have something like this happen (and I hope you NEVER do), please...do what the doctor says.

The past 2 days my knee has started to 'buckle' (sp). I have been unable to walk on it without havin it 'give' totally.

Today, I went back to the doctor (did I mention to him that I had not behaved and followed his directions, you might ask.................ARE YOU NUTS! I made out like I had been the 'perfect patient'. He would have fussed me out big time) and did find out pressure and pulse were ok...that was good.

He did another exam, and then, man, did he hit the spot that was soooooooo sore.

He says I may have torn the 'LCL' and that I am going to have to go see an Ortho. Before I do that, I have to have x-rays taken. If it is a tear and not a bad sprain, it may require surgery.

So, the orders are the same, but the meaning had settled in my brain a lot faster and with more meaning!

Listen up, all of you with rugs.....make sure those things are FLAT! Mind where you step! I don't want to see anyone go through any of this.

I DO hope you all have a good weekend.

Marilee


Feel better, Marilee, and next time, listen to your doc!

Tamara

No comments: