Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Another late night

Dunno about toast more like I'll be fried bread in the morning!! Went to the pictures after work. Went to see District 9. I was supposed to go last weekend but stuff got in the way and I didn't get to see it then. I don't think I'd actually use the word enjoyable about it but I did think it was pretty good. Thought-provoking would be a better term. It dragged a little in the middle but other than that is was compelling stuff. Obviously very political, with many references to apartheid, but equally it could stand as a tale about racism in general. Or homophobia. In fact any kind of prejudice, bigotry or treatment or difference or otherness as "less than". That habit humans can have of deciding that that which we don't understand is automatically inferior whilst completely ignoring the fact that if you treat people like scum for long enough then they will behave like scum.

I'd definitely recommend the film to anybody who likes their sci-fi with a message. However, if you're expecting (or are only interested in) the kind of rah-rah let's-kill-all-the-nasty-aliens-and-be-heroes Independence Day sort of over-the-top super-patriotic rhetoric, then this is not the film for you.

Ze

No comments: