Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Beer glasses can jump

A good day. Work went well. The sun shone. England won their World Cup qualifier. And I've just been watching a programme on the Queens of British Pop which had clips of Dusty Springfield and Suzi Quatro. (Damn!! that woman is sexy!!) Can't get much better than that for a Wednesday evening.

Last Friday I met up with my friends as I said I would (although the kid chickened out). And - just as I predicted - it rained. A lot. We spent a fair bit of time in Costa drinking coffee and keeping dry. I did manage to show them some of the tourist-type things to do here though, in between the rain showers. We did not go into the cathedral (12th century) though, since they've started charging for the privilege. (Haven't they read Mark 11:15-17!!) Then we went to the 16th century Ship Inn about which Sir Francis Drake is supposed to have said in 1588 "Next to mine own shippe I do most love that old Shippe in Exon, a tavern in Fyssh Street, as the people do call it, or as the Clergy will have it, St Martin's Lane. There yester'en I had some speech with a mariner fresh come hither from Plymouth. The power of Spain is already afloat, so in the morning please God, I am for Plymouth and for another shippe than this." The outside is impressive (Tudor) the inside is second rate. But the beer is good. And wet. I only had a half. Honest. I was as sober as a judge. (Though given the port-drinking habits of some members of the judiciary that's probably an oxymoron!!) I was just sitting there, cradling my glass when all of a sudden it leapt out of my hands and up-ended itself in my lap. Much to the amusement of my companions. I reckon it's their fault anyway. The English half of the partnership always makes it rain when she visits and since I managed to keep fairly dry and rain-free this was her revenge!! Thank God for dark-coloured jeans. You couldn't really tell I'd soaked myself.

Ze

No comments: