Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Must remember...

to change the batteries in the smoke alarms. We need new ones because they've had to work hard this past week. I always know when the rice is done because the smoke alarm in the hallway goes off. And I know it's really done beyond recognition as rice if the one on the upstairs landing goes off too. This week has been hard on the alarms. Even the ones in the bedrooms have been over-worked.

Did you know you can set fire to stir-fried vegetables?? While they're in the wok. While you're actually stood standing and stirring the damn' things. Well you can. Apparently quite easily. The vegetables go from completely raw to a pile of ashes in nano-seconds, without passing any intermediate stages of edibility along the way.

I don't know why I find cooking so difficult. It's not as if I haven't been very careful to read the instructions. I can build a fitted kitchen from scratch. Paper the walls and paint the woodwork. Plumb in a new sink. Fit new sockets and spotlights. All with no problem. But ask me to produce something edible in that same kitchen and all hell breaks loose. I can cook, I swear I can. I've lived alone and not starved to death. I've even had friends over for a meal and not poisoned them. It's just that 90% of the time food-type-things just sort of burst into flames when I go near them with a spatula. Is there such a thing as spontaneous brassica combustion??

Maybe I should stop trying to boil rice and just nuke it instead. I don't think you can nuke pasta though. I do need to find a way to get last night's spaghetti off the bottom of the saucepan it appears to have spot-welded itself to.

I think tomorrow I'll have salad.

Ze

2 comments:

E said...

Now I must remember...when Ze comes to visit make sure she does not get near the kitchen.

Megan said...

It's worth noting that there might be an issue with your pot/pans. I've got a few old ones in my kitchen that weld to the bottom anything that gets placed inside.