Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Paddy's Day

Happy Paddy's Day to those of you who are Irish or of Irish extraction. (And all those strange Yanks who celebrate even if they don't have a drop of Irish blood anywhere in their ancestry). I don't tend to celebrate, my mother was Irish, I'm English. Ok English with Irish blood. But I was born and bred in England and me Da was English. I have to admit I've always been a bit baffled by that American custom. You know the one where you aren't American. You're Irish-American or Italian-American or African-American or Polish-American - even if it's centuries since any of your ancestors were anywhere near wherever it is. It almost makes it seem you're ashamed of being simply American, you have to claim something else. Or that you're more proud of being that something else. Now I know that's not the case so don't shoot!! It's even more curious because I've never noticed anybody declare that they're English-American. English ancestry, sure. English descent, yep. (Much as I say I'm English with Irish ancestry). But never English-American. Maybe the English-Americans are ashamed of being English. Lord knows I can understand that.

Beautiful weather today. And yesterday. Sunny & spring-like. Got loads of work done. It's great now the days are drawing out. Longer hours of daylight means more overtime - and I need to start some serious saving. I'm scheduled to visit E & Tamara in September and so far I only have enough to afford airfare to somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic!! Maybe I should practice my rowing.

Ze

No comments: