Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Mothers

This past Sunday was Mother's Day here in the UK. Or to give it its proper name Mothering Sunday. I know that other places (such as the USA or Aus) have a different date for their Mother's Day but we haven't yet separated it from its origins, which were actually a religious holiday for our mother the church and nothing to do with female parents. Seems a bit mean really as fathers have their own separate day. The day does coincide rather nicely with all the council-planted displays of daffodils flowering in the parks. By Monday it looks as if we've been hit by a plague of daffodil-munching locusts. My own mother died a fair while ago so I couldn't have visited her even if I had felt so inclined, I did give my usual passing thought to hoping that wherever she is now is nice and warm.

I do send a card on this day though. Many, many years ago (as a teen) I was in hospital for a bit having been rather badly injured. One of the nurses there was brilliant. She always seemed to go above-and-beyond the call of duty while caring for me. She even brought a couple of changes of clothes for me (mine had been wrecked). I always associated that quote with her. The one about the kindness of strangers. I can't remember where it's from - which probably means I hated the author or the work as I try not to remember books/plays/films etc. that I dislike (easier these days *g*). I didn't get a chance to thank her or say goodbye properly when I left the hospital but in one of those truth-is-stranger-than-fiction moments I wound up dating her daughter (same age as me) about ten years later. I don't know which of us was more shocked when she took me home to meet her mam. The relationship with the daughter's long gone but her mother kept in contact all these years. She's been damned good to me and always called herself my second mam. So she always gets a card. And a visit if I can. Always need to keep a place in your life for special people like that. They're rare.

Ze

No comments: