Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Snow and stuff

Why was I complaining to my brother that we never get snow in the south-west of England?? Why did I say how beautiful snow is?? Why did I say I wanted some?? I know what snow's like. I used to live on the Essex coast. I remember the bitter winds blowing off the North Sea. I remember the blizzards. And not being able to get to work because the trains froze. And metre-long icicles hanging from the roof. And if there's one thing we Brits love to do it's grumble about the weather. So why did I tempt the fates??

It snowed over most of the UK yesterday and today. We had blizzards. In London they had 25cm of snow and my brother (a London bus driver) couldn't work, all the bus services were cancelled for safety reasons. Snow settled (it never does that!!) here in Devon - thick snow. In fact it's still sitting in my garden. 10cm (about 4 inches) of the stuff. Those countries that really get snow will be laughing at us because we can't cope with a few centimetres when they can handle 5 metres or so... but we're not used to it down here in dear ol' Deb'n. It's a bit like getting snow in Los Angeles...the palm trees in Torquay don't like it. People run around crying "the sky is falling".

Some of it melted earlier, where the sun shone on the pavements (sidewalks). It's below freezing now so by tomorrow those lovely wet pavements will be ice-rinks. Anybody wanna take bets on whether I can avoid a trip to A&E (ER) with a broken bone or two??

And I'm cold. **grumble**

But the good news is - I got my tax return filed in time. Yay!! No fines!!

Ze

NB - ivy_rachel is the name of a website and not an indication of the pairing. We don't post pairings info.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Domestication by Janine is Ivy/Skimmer, not Ivy/Rachel.

E said...

fixed...thanks!

zero2aries said...

Thanks - but the ivy-rachel note is the name of the webpage I found the link on and *not* the pairing in the story.

I have read the story - I love Janine's stuff and I'm a major fan of The Hollows books...