Thursday, June 05, 2014

Finally at Rest

She made the best tacos and enchiladas. I think my love of spicy food started with her enchiladas and her spaghetti sauce. She could be intimidating to a little kid but a great listener for an older one. She was always willing to show you how to cook the best fried chicken and fresh pear cake. My brother and I still reminisce about the awesome batch of home canned pickles she made one year...hot and spicy of course.

She liked to stay up late, watching tv in the dark. I have great memories of warm summer nights spent watching Johnny Carson and Planet of the Apes. This didn't mean she slept in. She rarely sat still. Everything was always dusted and in its place. And don't forget a garden and fruit trees to tend...all waiting to be canned and stored for the winter.

She didn't have an easy childhood and wasn't always comfortable with displays of affection. She showed she cared by her actions. She never pulled away from a hug or a kiss, however. I learned early that if I wanted a hug I would need to walk right up and give her one first.

She was feisty and hard-working, generous to strangers and had a tendency to keep loved ones at a distance. She was my grandma for 46 years and I loved her.

Thanks for the lessons you taught me and the great memories. Hopefully Grandpa understood when you were finally able to give him that punch for leaving you alone so long. Time to dance in the kitchen with him again.

Tamara

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My condolences on the loss of your grandmother.

Aries