Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Longest Day

First - Good Solstice to all our Pagan & Wiccan readers.

It's Midsummer's Day, the longest day of the year, and officially the beginning of summer, in the northern hemisphere, the nights start drawing in now. Isn't that a cheerful thought.

Someone seems to have forgotten to inform the weather of this fact. It's cold, wet, and windy. Very windy. Today I wore a t-shirt, long-sleeved shirt, and a sweatshirt. I was still cold. And yesterday I was so wet and muddy that when I got on the bus to come home the driver said, "You aren't going to sit on the seats like that, are you mate??". I said, "No, of course not. I was planning on standing." I did think of asking where he expected people to sit if not on the seats, on the roof perhaps?? But the weather was nasty and I didn't want to have to walk home (it takes two hours).

I did enjoy my weekend off, although I needn't have booked it as time off because I couldn't have worked anyway. There was torrential rain, there were gale-force winds and it was very cold. Totally unsafe working conditions. So I stayed home and relaxed and did as little as possible.

And read. (Jan Morris' Heaven's Command, if anybody's interested.)

Ze

No comments: