Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Grumbling Again

Some days I grumble so much I start to wonder if I'm related to Victor Meldrew.

I'm working six days a week and eleven hours a day at the moment - it's summer, light nights, warmish dry days - we try to get as much done as possible with the extra time available. I'm grateful for the overtime, really I am, I'm saving to go to the USA next year. But it doesn't leave a lot of time for things like emailing friends, reading books, or working on the allotment.

I was going to do some work on that on Sunday but we had torrential rain all day. Ok, we desperately needed the rain and I was damn' glad to see it, but it did kind of wreck any hopes I had of getting the courgettes (zucchini) in.

And then my flamin' crown came out - again!! I wish I'd never had the blasted thing put in. It's spent more time over the past two years in an envelope, waiting to be put back in, than it has actually in my mouth!! I'm so glad I didn't let the dentist talk me into crowning that other one. Although I did let her convince me to have it veneered. I had that done over a year ago and it still feels weird when I catch sight of it in the mirror. It had been broken, crooked and discoloured since I was fifteen and seeing it straight, complete, and white (ish) still looks strange.

And on top of everything else DC are f***ing with my favourite comics!! Not that I seem to be able to get them at the moment anyway, but when I can get them I want my Birds of Prey with Oracle if you please!! I don't want her going back to Batgirl!!

Ah well, at least I managed to find time to get my hair cut. It was getting a little bit longer than I like. And the sun had bleached the top so it looked like I'd had blonde highlights done. That all got cut out and back to my normal colour. It's usually a very light brown with almost red tones in strong sunlight, (my hairdresser may say it's "dark blonde" but I prefer to call it mousey brown).

Ze

1 comment:

Tamara said...

Regarding your state of dissatisfaction with DC Comics and their recently announced "reboot." I wasn't too happy either when I read it but then I thought back on other newsworthy stuff coming out of DC...death of Superman, Wonder Woman's costume change, death of Batman, etc.

When you look at the current DC crossover Flashpoint, we're getting a whole new universe. The latest issue of Booster Gold (#44) has him stuck in it for example. I believe the "reboot" will grow out of this Flashpoint crossover and be nothing more than a story-telling stunt.

I don't believe they've spent all this time bringing back the multiverses (axed during Crisis on Infinite Earths) to do away with it all.

We're just getting more canny marketing from DC. They seem to be able to get the media to pay attention and get some free publicity for their comics. When the new #1s come out they're probably hoping many news outlets cover the event.

I'll sit back and read the stories. I'm betting on things not changing drastically for the long term.