Monday, October 05, 2009

Dwindling

The title is what I received...a reminder of what we have and what we have lost. We are a little late with the update, but this one is worth reading. Take it away, phair.
It is a lovely afternoon here in the Commonwealth. The temperatures are more like early June than October. In fact, we've had much more pleasant weather these first few days of Fall than we did for most of the Summer. It is an odd beginning of the end in a year filled with endings.

Death takes a toll each year we are fortunate enough to grow older. Somehow, though, 2009 seems to have exacted more shocking departures than any year I can recall. This is because it is either a true observation or because my mind, graying like my hair, is looking back more fondly on the charms of the past than our seemingly crueler present. Perhaps, it is a bit of both.

This year we witnessed the passing of aging towers of influence who defined our times, for a time. Cronkite, Kennedy, and Pell were men whose names became the shorthand for journalism, liberalism, and education respectively across more than four generations. They were always with us, weren't they? See anybody close to their level of performance swelling up in the ranks? No, didn't think so.

We lost people who shape a generation like John Hughes, Farrah Fawcett, Michael Jackson, and David Carradine. Their departures were jarring and shocking and, let's face it, creepy. Who knew the reclusive Hughes was still alive? And Farrah's boyfriend tried to pick up his own daughter moments after pushing the casket into the hearse. Followed by MJ's over the top, overpriced and do over funerals. And, David Carradine…ewww.

Some departures were just plain sad. Patrick Swayze and Natasha Richardson left us far too soon. Mary Travers and Marilyn Chambers did die older but they are best remembered as the beautiful and blonde 1970's versions of themselves. Another woman from the past finally died this year but she is not worth naming. However, the breathtaking woman she butchered that evil summer night in ’69 should be remembered often; Sharon Tate. Which brings us to Jim Carroll, the singer of a sick tribute song to Sharon, he expired in September.

I said goodbye to several friends this summer. My sixteen year old neighbor was completely destroyed in a horrendous car wreck in late August. I thought I was hardened by the many tragedies in my life but nothing prepared me for the anguish of this kid's death. Her mother and I stood in the middle of the street holding onto each other while sobs echoed all around us. I'm a city girl. I don't do more than a wave to the neighbors and a smile. But, this cut deep. It left me raw and wondering how am I still here while this kid is gone? Where is the logic, the reason, the justice? If you have an answer, let me know.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I lost a long time co-worker. She was ill and had been for months. I sort of, kind of, figured that I would need to say goodbye to her sooner rather than later but I thought we'd have a couple more laughs before her final exit. I was wrong.

No, review of this year will be complete without a shout out to AC Henley. Most of what I thought that could be nailed to paper I put into a poem posted to this site a few weeks ago. Nothing more comes to mind. Well, nothing that translates into words. There is no good way to capture with words the ache of grieving a friend gone too soon for no good reason with so much left to share.

Think of the good souls we've lost often; remember them well. Treasure the ones still among the living. The days are dimming in the dwindling hours of 2009 as we begin to end the first decade of the new millennium.

phair

Thank you, phair. On those words I leave you with the update, enjoy.

Elisa

No comments: