Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Water, Water Everywhere and Not a Drop to drink...

It's been a strange week. I'm wondering if it's Official United Nations Bad Luck With Water Week or Something's Wrong With The Cosmos week. Or something similar. Lots of weird accidents (none serious). All of them involving water. And not just to me. The whole city seems to have had problems.

I started a new contract this week, (btw though they keep saying there's a downturn in the construction industry that doesn't seem to apply here in my city, house-building is booming). I'm working over the other side of town so I need to catch the bus. I was late on Monday. There were detours all over the place because all those nice new water mains they put in a short while ago went wrong. One burst, rather spectacularly in fact, and flooded one of the main routes into the city centre (downtown). That mean road closures & evacuations and such. The road is still closed at the mo.

The forecast for Monday was sunny spells with light showers. Hah!! The heavens opened. The short walk up the hill from the bus-stop left me looking like a drowned rat. Denim takes forever to dry so I spent the whole day soaking wet.

Tuesday started ok except for the roads still being closed. The houses near the pub on the river at were on flood-alert though as it was looking pretty high. Then the day went sideways again. I had to set up the hose to supply water to the cement mixer. I thoroughly checked all the connections, the washer looked as if it could do with being replaced but I decided it would do for now, and I turned the tap (faucet) on slowly. I'm not daft. I've been caught that way before. It was fine, everything worked well. Until I needed to turn it off. As I bent down towards it (I hadn't even put a hand on it yet!!) the seal gave (I guess the washer did need replacing after all). When the seal goes the tap shoots a high-pressure jet of water about two metres into the air. Unless of course there's something in its way. You know. Like a human body. It took me about four minutes to stop trying to fight against the blast of water and think sensibly enough to walk round to the back of the tap - out of the line of fire - and turn it off. I would have been less wet if I'd jumped into a swimming-pool. Another day spent in soaking clothes. I have a cold now. It will probably turn into double-pneumonia at least by the end of the week.

Today I took a change of clothes. I needed them. Another torrential downpour saw to that. I could have done with two changes. Early this afternoon the tarp we had over the work area got overloaded with rainwater. It collapsed. And yep, I was standing under it when it went. The rain got so bad that they gave up trying to set bricks and sent us all home a couple of hours early.

Tomorrow I'm borrowing my nephew's wetsuit (the full suit he uses for surfing in Britain's icy seas). And I'm wearing it under a sou'wester. With fisherman's waders. I'm not taking any chances.

See you next week (unless I'm in ICU with pneumonia), goodnight and may your God/s go with you. (And keep you dry)

Ze

No comments: