Friday, August 07, 2009

Ramble from Joan

We are home and tired and got lucky as Joan sent us words.
The Tools of the Trade, or Lazy Writers, Frustrated Readers

Hiya Ladies,

Has this happened to you, too? You're in the middle of a story when your reading is interrupted one time too many, and, rolling your eyes, you hit the "Back" button.

Happens to me far too often. The problem is that what throws me from the flow of the story is *within* the story. "Mary, is not at home." WHAT? I see the comma, I expect a clause that will modify the subject, but none comes forth. So I stop and re-read the sentence (instead of following the story), only to realise that quality control has, yet again, failed.

"Their over they're in there car." Forehead hits keyboard, a desperate wail fills the room, and -- yes, "Back".

Not to mention how many authors do not treat their readers to the basic politeness of running a spell checker...

I know it can be hard. I'm a writer (well, 'scribbler') myself, and if there is a mistake I have not made I cannot think of it right now. But let's face it: a writer works with language. Her imagination provides the raw material that has to be brought into shape to be presentable. That includes ripping out parts where your fascination with the subject caused you to ramble. That includes weeding out over-the-board redundancy ("Her deep blue, cerulean eyes had the colour of the Mediterranean sea."), which *can* creep in when you're carried away with enthusiasm for a particular scene. And the very least you can do is not to violate the language you use to transport the story.

Of course, when you proof-read your own story, you tend to see what you *wanted* to say, not necessarily what's actually before your eyes. Personally, I re-read it until I get sick of it, which is not nice, but helps to build a certain distance. If you are lucky enough to have betas, nurture them, praise them, *especially* when they can be a p.i.t.a.

And when your exciting story excites with a really exciting plot, remember that there is a thesaurus to help you come up with exciting alternatives.

Then, when you're finally satisfied, re-run the spell checker. Believe it or not, this short ramble contained two spelling errors. Of course, writing this necessitates another run *which I am not going to comment on*, because... right.

Yes, it's frustrating work. But would you rather frustrate your readers?

Any errors in this ramble will hopefully only make you laugh, not angry.

Joan


Okay this ramble made me laugh and you know what? She is completely RIGHT! Editing is one of my number one I hate this story issues. I also suggest highly anyone writing get a decent editor. Even the crappy speller, editor and writer I am can be saved by Tamara's editing skills. And I also get the advantage of blaming her when something is missed. Perfect, no?

Here be the updates, I need to get moving on the laundry.

Elisa

2 comments:

zero2aries said...

Joan. I think I love you.

I thank you. My inner grammar-nazi thanks you. I've ranted to friends so often about this kind of thing.

These days if I find that sort of error in a story I stop reading and do as you, hit back. Life isn't long enough, and there are too many good stories to read, to waste time on badly-written rubbish.

What does appal me more, though, is the number of similar errors which appear in published, printed, *proper* books.

I weep for the future of writing.

Great ramble.

Ze

zero2aries said...

Joan - have you seen this...

Downfall of Grammar