Tuesday, June 09, 2009

That'll Teach Me

I shouldn't have complained about the hot weather. I should have been grateful. Saturday morning I was awoken by a deafening crash of thunder. Right overhead. Didn't half make me jump. And then it rained. And rained. And rained. And it wasn't just rain - it was a monsoon. Incredibly heavy rain. The sort you get in a short, sharp thunderstorm. Except that this went on all day. According to the local news we had an entire month's worth of rain in four hours. But it still kept raining. I decided I really didn't want to go into town after all. I think we had around 10cm (about four inches) of rain on Saturday.

It rained again on Sunday. The field nearby flooded and poured a small stream of flood water carrying a few dozen kilos of sticks, stones, mud, plants & gravel onto the main road. I decided to stay home again. Yesterday & today were grey, overcast and cold. But no more rain. I've decided not to tempt fate that way again. Especially since all those nice little lettuce seedlings I planted last week are now a bunch of mud-splattered, squashed-flat, bits of leaf lying in the mushy ground of my allotment. Oh well at least the slugs will enjoy them.

Ze

No comments: