Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Readers, Writers & Demands

Minor rants tonight. First from a reader's point of view about a small minority of fanfic writers. Don't do it. Don't hold your fic to ransom. You know the sort of thing I mean. The author's notes say something along the lines of "I need X number of reviews before I post the next part." or "If I don't get any feedback I'll stop." Not polite. Not smart. Nothing makes me hit the back button faster. Not even bad grammar or poor spelling. (And believe me, those make me click on "back" very, very swiftly).

I understand (only too well) having writer's block and leaving your fic unfinished. I understand the kind of writer's block that leaves you with a thousand ideas which, as soon as you turn them into beginning chapters, up and leave you. So you have a dozen starts and no finishes. That's excusable. And if I had a problem with that it would be my own fault for reading a WIP. But to deliberately not post chapters because you have an ego the size of the Atlantic that needs stroking?? It makes you look like a spoilt child. If the only reason you write is for a pat on the back maybe you should consider a different hobby.

Now a comment from a writer's perspective to readers. It's great that you read the stories. It's wonderful if you give feedback. It's beyond fantastic if you are able to give constructive criticism or an in-depth critique. Fantastic but not expected, demanded or essential. It's great to know somebody is reading and even a short "love it, please continue" is welcome and very gratefully received. And it's polite of the writer to say thank you if they can.

But apart from that the writer doesn't owe you anything. Not even if you paid for a book. But they especially don't owe you anything if you're reading it at no charge. So if you don't get chapters fast enough to suit you - sorry, can't be helped. Best thing to do is not start reading a WIP. If you really hate it - stop reading. And if you decide never to read that writer again, well, no problem. Don't read. That is your prerogative. What you don't do is berate the writer. You don't insult them and you do not do the email equivalent of flouncing into their presence, flicking your hair disdainfully and storming out. If you do then you're asking for whatever the writer throws at you. And it will make the writer think to themselves "why am I agonising over this story and then posting it for free when it gets me this." And they stop writing. It's not classy. And it will also make you look like a spoilt child.

End rant. (Which is longer than your updates today). So I'll sign off and do the tl:dr bit - be nice to your readers, be nice to writers.

Goodnight and may your God/s go with you

Ze

No comments: