Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Still too hot.

Another 26c day. It's supposed to be cooler tomorrow. And - naturally - the forecast for the weekend is heavy rain. Ah well, save me watering the allotment. It's not easy. You can't use a hose. You have to carry a watering can (5litres) to & fro between your plot and the stand-pipe. Do you have any idea how many trips you have to make to water an allotment measuring ten rods?? No, me neither. I lost count after unlucky thirteen. Why unlucky?? Well... you see those footprints. The soggy, squelchy ones leading to our front door. The ones whose tread pattern exactly matches those of my gardening boots. Let's just say I found a way of cooling down quickly. And five litres of water doesn't seem like much when you're pouring it onto the dry-as-a-bone earth around your tomato plants but bloody Ada it's a hell of a lot when you've taken a step backwards, tripped over the fork handle, landed flat on your back on the path and are wearing the can on your stomach and its contents from your boots to your belt!!.

Elections for the European Parliament take place over the next few days, starting with ours tomorrow & carrying on until Sunday. (Different countries in the EU have different, traditional, polling days. Ours in the UK is always a Thursday). If you're an EU citizen get out there & vote. I know most people reckon the European Parliament is useless, and sure, they have very little power, but vote anyway. I don't care who you vote for - well, actually I do care but it isn't my place to tell you who I think you should or shouldn't choose - but whoever you vote for make sure you vote. It's important. Not because it's the EU. Not because of whoever you vote for. But because you're voting. You're exercising your right to vote. Something that a lot of people fought very hard to gain. Some even gave their lives for it. As a working-class woman I'm always very aware of the history surrounding this right, this privilege, and how much it cost. I owe it to those people, the workers and the women who struggled for so long, to get out there and do it.

Enjoy your updates. See you next week. Goodnight and may your God/s go with you.

Ze

No comments: