Friday, March 23, 2007

Ramble from Linda

Here's a nice way to end the week...a ramble from Linda.
Victoria has become the latest victim of the family curse. Bwa ha hah ah!! Nothing too sinister...she needs glasses. That is the family curse. Every last single one of us have bad eyes. All the brothers, me and my sister, all the nephews and now all the nieces. Victoria was the last to fall victim until a new crop of kids pop up in this family.

With her sister, Ellie, she wouldn't tell me she had trouble with her vision. She thought she was too cool for glasses and thought her friends would laugh at her. But one day I caught her. We were standing in Taco Bell and I realized Ellie couldn't see the menu on the wall. If she had leaned over that counter any further she could have gotten her own food. Now I can only get her to wear them when she has to read. Plus her teachers all know she has to wear them to see the board. Poor kid can't win. Oh, the trials of being a teenager. LOL

Victoria on the other hand, came right up to me and said, "I can't see crap!!!" (her favorite word these days) OK. Off we went to find out why. She has a small problem with her far sight (seeing close up) and a huge problem with her near sight (seeing far away). She is now the proud owner of a nice wire frame glasses. She looks so cute. But of course I can't say that. Victoria says that they make her look smarter.

Ah, do I tell her that one day when you reach your 40's it gets worse? One day you discover that your arms are not long enough to read a book? Or if you get that TV guide any closer to your face it will be behind you?

I tried to ignore the hints my eyes were giving me during the last year of my 30's. But I waited until my 40th birthday to admit defeat and went and got bifocals. I was tired of having ink smears on my nose. A sure sign that you need them. And guess what? I lived. Haha!

Now I am about to turn 50 and I'm teaching a new generation of kids the joy of picking out the right type of frames, how to take proper care of them and to wear them proud. For without them you tend to bump into things.

Except if you're a teenage girl who would rather not see the cute boy at the end of the mall all the girls are pointing at, than to look un-cool in your glasses.

Linda


We're afflicted with that curse as well. Duncan will be getting his eyes checked this summer. He may be able to put the glasses off for awhile because he's not as big a reader as Mike and I were at his age. Then again...he gets a lot more computer time than we did so he may be sporting new specs soon.

If you haven't sent a postcard or a representative state/country object for Victoria's school project, email Linda for her address and pop it in the mail. You've got until May.

Tamara

No comments: