Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Day Off

The kids broke up from school week before last. But, regrettably for her fans, little Barbara won't be helping out during the summer holidays. I'm working on a different site which is not safe for outsiders, especially kids, and even if it were, my current site foreman is not the type to allow site visits. To be honest there's not a lot she could do here anyway. My days at the moment are largely spent knotting and priming pre-set timber frames.

And bird-watching *g*.

The nearby fields are full of warblers. And I think I might have seen a yellowhammer - I can't swear to it as it was a fair distance from me, but it certainly looked like it.

Took a day off today to meet a US friend who's been studying in Birmingham. We got rained on. Had a nice day though, in spite of the weather. Saw Clifton Suspension Bridge (designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel). Saw the SS Great Britain, the first ever iron, propeller-driven, steam-ship, (designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel). Travelled by train, along the tracks laid down by the Great Western Railway,(designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel). Arrived at Bristol Temple Meads station, (yep, you guessed it designed by IKB). They're pretty big on IKB in Bristol...

The weather has turned with a vengeance. Sitting here, gone midnight, listening to a torrential downpour. It's nasty out there...

Ze

No comments: