Tuesday, December 03, 2013

It Matters

Tom Daley came out yesterday. A lot of people said things like, "It shouldn't matter". "Who cares". And the perennial, "I didn't need to tell people I was straight, why does he need to tell us about his sex life??".

Well, it does matter.

Nobody was ever refused a job simply for being straight. Nobody was ever refused a home simply for being straight. Nobody was ever raped simply for being straight. Nobody was ever beaten in the street, or gaoled, or executed, simply for being straight. Nobody was ever rejected by their parent, kicked out of home, simply for being straight.

Those things happen Every Single Day, here in the 21st century, to LGBT people.

And as long as those things continue to happen. As long as "straight" is the default status. As long as young men are asked "do you have a girlfriend??", and young women "do you have a boyfriend??", instead of "do you have a partner??". As long as kids in small towns commit suicide because they're bullied, thinking they're the only one "like that". As long as "dyke and "faggot" - and yes, even "gay" - are insults flung by idiots. As long as LGBT people cannot call themselves fully equal - fully human - in more than half the countries of the world, and fully safe in the other half - then yes - it does matter.

In fact, it's a matter of life and death.

Ze

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You and I oft do agree with each other, you wouldn't know this as when we dont agree, I dont write a comment and tell you.

But this, I would applaud you all the way. I often see the comments about, having a straight parade and not telling anyone I was straight and despite my ability to string words together, usually quite well, I fail to come up with anything. If it's all the same to you, I will simply copy and paste your comment.

Really well said. Thank you.

zero2aries said...

Thank you.

Be my guest.