Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Busy weekend

But first. Elisa - aw mate - did you have to... Thanks for the good wishes though. The kid says thanks, too.

Right, yeah, busy weekend. Protest march in London last Saturday, against the swingeing cuts our present government is making in public services (and the hatchet job it's about to do on our beloved NHS).. Amazing. Absolutely amazing. I've been on a few marches in my time. (Save the Whale; LGBT Pride; Anti-Trident; etc.) But this one?? This was phenomenal.

Firstly because it looks as if close to half-a-million people turned out. The largest I've been on until now was 200,000 on a CND anti-nukes march back in the Greenham Common days.

And secondly because of the mix of people. There were the sort of people you'd expect to find on this kind of march - young left-wingers, university students, and and working class trades union members - but there were also professionals, mothers with toddlers in push-chairs (baby buggies), middle-aged, middle-class, usually Tory-voting, W.I. members. There were urban working-class, rural middle-class. There were OAP's (senior citizens) and secondary-school kids (high-schoolers). And it was all good-natured and responsible and law-abiding. (Except for a handful of more radical activists who broke away from the main march & caused a bit of a dust-up in Oxford Street).

The only bad thing about the whole day was the singular lack of food choices in the motorway services (freeway rest area) on the way home. So I had to eat fat-filled, greasy, junk (Burger King "fries") and wound up getting coach-sick. (Coach = long-distance bus).

Then on Sunday I took advantage of the good weather and dug the allotment over, ready for the new season of veg growing. (Glad I did because the weather has turned cold & damp again and I don't fancy doing it this weekend).

I was glad to get back to work on Monday for a rest!!

Ze

1 comment:

E said...

ah...of course I had to!