Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Beware the Ides of December.

Forget about the Ides of March. The Ides of March are harmless. (Unless your name's Julius Caesar). It's the Ides of December that's a killer.

Reisen's got (another) UTI. That was a trip to the vet, an anti-inflammatory injection and a course of antibiotics. Another sixty quid. Right before Christmas. Just what I needed. Mind you, I don't suppose Reisen's very happy about it either. I'll be sleeping downstairs tonight, on the sofa, so I can let him out easily, without having him bark and wake everybody up. The trouble is he needs to pee about every ninety seconds at the moment. This means I'm not getting a lot of sleep tonight.

Then there's work. The job I was working on ended and we were due to start a new one. But we've had so much rain lately (a whole year's worth in a month) that half the site is flooded and the rest is too wet to break ground. But then - what idiot ignored the fact that the site is called Brook Meadow in the village of Sidford. There's a reason these places get names like that!! We can't start the job until the new year. So this week (and for the first two days of next week) I've got temporary work on a tree farm - digging up Christmas trees for customers. I'll be so glad when Christmas arrives.

Finally there's the never-ending saga of my laptop. I got the free second-hand one. It's almost as old as my old one. It's as big and as heavy and it's a brand I've never heard of. The main problem is it doesn't have any card slots. So I couldn't install my wireless card. I had to decide whether to go for the easy option of putting my hard-drive into this one and resigning myself to not having wireless or the difficult one of removing the power supply (and motherboard because they're linked) from this one and replacing the (dead) one in my old laptop.

Guess which one I picked.

Yep. You guessed it. It took me a week, and a lot of swearing, before I finally admitted that I haven't a bloody clue what I'm doing and yelled for help. According to my next-door-neighbour, her brother-in-law "does computer stuff". He turned out to be a technician. He shook his head a lot. And made a lot of tutting noises. But he sorted in. And he only charged me a six-pack of Guinness. So I now have my old laptop with a new power supply. And as soon as I've charged the battery up - and I get five minutes to myself without having to let Reisen in and out with monotonous regularity - I can catch up on my email, update my blog - and sort out my story.

I think I'll wait until the Ides is over, though.

Ze

No comments: