Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Sad

Hi folks. If you're hoping for one of my usual posts to come along and cheer you up I'm sorry but I'm going to disappoint you. I'm not feeling very chipper right now. I lost a good friend at the end of last week. His name was Harley. Or Mr Davidson when he'd been bad. He was just about 14. He was a collie/setter cross and I got him from a pet shelter when he was 8 months old. He needed a good home. He'd already been passed around from pillar to post 3 times. He was hand-shy too (that automatic duck reaction when you move your hand quickly), so I knew he'd been beaten. I taught him that people could be just as loyal and just as loving as dogs can. He was such a damn' smartarse too. I loved him and he worshipped the ground I walked on.

He'd been showing his age just lately, his legs were shaky and he couldn't walk far any more. He was going blind. But he was still pleased to see me whenever I got home. I came downstairs last Thursday morning and found him looking distressed. His back legs wouldn't work. I called the vet. When she arrived at the house she said he'd had a stroke. I knew what I needed to do. I sat with his head in my lap and stroked him. And she put him gently to sleep.

I know that he's happy now. He's young again and chasing rabbits across green fields in the sunshine while he waits for me to join him. But Lord, I miss him.


Ze


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. My own beloved dog died on August 28, and it tore me in two with grief.

I still can't believe it.

Many thoughs your way!

zero2aries said...

Thanks Raven.

Sorry for your loss.

At least we had their company for a while