Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Always keep a treat handy

Thanks to everyone who sent good wishes about Harley. I will reply to you all in due course. Depending on whether my *£*$*%*&* email works properly. I'm trying to keep thinking of all the happy times we had. And all the times he did something which made me laugh. Coz companion animals are good at that - making you laugh.

Such as only coming second in his obedience classes (he got a little blue rosette which he promptly ate) because he could not understand that "fetch" meant he should bring the dumbbell back to me not chase after it and lie down on it. Mind you, he only passed his "walking to heel while off the lead" because I secreted a dog treat in my left hand - which he followed. I had to do that as he could only pass the class if he walked to my left and for some strange reason he hated walking on my left. For the rest of his life he walked on my right.

He had the looks of a collie but a setter's height - and a setter's brains unfortunately, so he had a tendency to get carried away when running in the woods. He'd run enthusiastically off the trail and into the trees after squirrels. In fact he didn't have to even see a squirrel. All you had to do was say "squirrel" and he was off. And then he'd get lost. He got lost for three hours once. He finally found the car after I'd all but given up being able to find him. I've never seen a dog look so relieved - or so happy to be told off and made to get into the car without a "good boy" treat. He was overjoyed to see me but I really could have done without him trying to sit in my lap as I was driving. Made it kind of hard to see.

He was a character, maybe when it hurts a bit less I'll write a "dog training for beginners" tale of his exploits. I'm lucky to have known him.

Ze

No comments: