Sunday, December 16, 2007

Ramble from Linda

I love it when Linda sends us a ramble.
The Rules of Gift Giving

My mother has one rule of gift giving...buy them what they need. Such as clothes. No child wants socks and underwear for Christmas. I have one basic rule...I buy them what they WANT!! That makes me the favorite at Christmas and Birthdays.

As soon as I was old enough to buy gifts for my brothers and sister, I had one basic rule with three sub-rules.

Tell me what you want and I will get it for you as long as....
1...I could afford it
2...It doesn't freak out the parents.
3...It wasn't alive.

Time moves on and things change. By the 80's when the nieces and nephews started arriving, I needed to add a few more sub-rules....

4...No weapons.
5...Nothing that could be turned into a weapon. (two of the nephews could turn a harmless teddy bear into a deadly weapon)
6...Nothing that makes loud noises, such as drum sets, microphones, horns, etc. (Unless of course I was pissed off at their parents at the time)
7...Nothing that has two wheels and a motor. Dirt bikes and motorcycles make me nervous. (It is even hard for me to let the kids ride their bicycles when they are with me.)
8...No toys that will one day involve the police showing up.
9...Nothing that will involve me one day having to shave the rug to get it out. (been there, done that, don't need to it again)
10...Up-date to rule 2...nothing that would freak ME out.

That's the rules so far. I am sure by the time the next generation arrive, I will have to add more.

Linda


I never minded getting socks and underwear for Christmas but Mike hates it. Please thank Linda for rambling for us. I want her to feel encouraged to share these with us any ol' time.

Tamara

No comments: