Saturday, December 15, 2007

Ramble from Kali

Feeling lucky! Another person shares some fun with you all.
I had my own little Hanukkah miracle this year and I wanted to share.

My tale begins with my efforts as a home electrician. I have a number of projects that I really should call a professional in to fix. We spent a bunch of money when we first bought our home 3 plus years ago on an electrician and I really didn't want to incur a fee in 2007.

One of the former owners put in a florescent light in the garage. Apparently it wasn't done to code and wasn't noticed by any one. Up until we had a city inspector stop by to look at the work our electrician did. Does he have a problem with any of the work we contracted? No. But he tosses on an open permit for the garage light. I refuse to pay to fix it, since it works fine and the code has more to do with cya than substance. However I am am now hesitant to call an electrician.

Last year I bought a timer switch to add to our master bath to shut off the fan so we don't waste electricity and leave it on for hours after we shower in the am & head to work. After turning off the power to the circuit I took the cover off disconnect everything, but the wires don't seem to be the correct size and the unit doesn't work. The angle is very awkward to screw & unscrew I reattach everything & try again another day, same problem. I put all back in the closet and leave same as before.

I have a 2 bulb circular light in my son's ceiling. One bulb appeared to die so I bought 2 replacements 1 for each size, assuming the 2nd would go soon. However I go to put the new one in & it doesn't work. I determine there is a problem with the unit my father-in-law added at my partner's request; it's worked fine for 2 years. I decide to just leave the one bulb in & since its on the ceiling and I can't shove the cover back on as it is awkward & won't catch even when I'm on a ladder. It remains coverless & not very attractive.

I did successfully change the doorbell. My partner was surprised it worked and there were no extra holes in the wall, etc. Oh yee of little faith.

Now you have an idea of my electronic work ethic so you won't be surprised to know that when a switch for the light above the kitchen sink won't turn off I try duct tape to keep it in the off position. These are designer switches and wider and flatter than the standard light switch. Mysteriously the duct tape doesn't work, which I can't understand as duct tape is supposed to be a handi-person's friend.

I head to the basement, turn on aforementioned garbage light & try to turn off the power to remove the bulb. I flick the switch for the kitchen, nope. Try the one for the garbage disposal that shares the same switch plate. Nope not the right one. I try a few more random switches; it's still on. Needless to say I'm stymied. I really don't feel like turning the power to the whole house off switch by switch or buying one of those circuit finders for 39.99 so I don't.

I let that light shine. And shine it does and has been since mid October. That light has been on every blessed day & night going strong. I figured it would die, but no it shined on every day reminding me that it was in control and not me of my own home.

Here's the miracle. My son & I lit all the Hanukkah candles the for the 8th night. We go to bed. I wake up the morning of the 8th day of Hanukah and lo and behold the light over the sink has gone out.

So yes I still have to call an electrician but now I can rest easy knowing I'm no longer wasting electricity and the house is mine again burnt out bulb and all.

Have a great holiday everyone.

Kali


Thanks, Kali, good luck and enjoy that darkness!

And to all...enjoy the updates!

Elisa

No comments: