Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Ramble from Phair

Here's phair's first ramble (or rant as she put it) for 2007.
I'm already keeping one of my New Year's resolutions. 2007 is my year without television. I turned in the cable box on December 30. The remote town I live in can not pick up any of the local stations like we use to do in the dark ages. Anyone else remember rabbit ears perched on top of the TV's?

Why, you ask? The ridiculously high cost versus my small amount of viewing time started me thinking about dumping cable a few months ago. However, my decision was firmed up Friday night into Saturday morning. Hours of a death watch for a tyrant which culminated in the gristly image of a shrouded body with a broken neck.

Disgusting. Yet, I sat there and watched as much as I could stomach and a little that I couldn't. I wanted to be mad at CNN for showing so much, the photographers who filmed so much, the lack of control and restraint by the authorities to allow so much to be seen. But ultimately, I could only be angry with me for watching.

If it is true, that the world is what we make it then I want to remake 2007 in my image of how things should be. The world, in my house, will not be a place where the dead and dying or condemned are displayed across a flashing television screen with momentary interruptions to advertise the newest products that I don't really need. In 2007, I will stop numbing myself to human suffering with daily doses of chaos and carnage read to me by pretty little blonde things in way too short skirts. 2007 will be the year I free my head of the empty political prattle shouted at rallies by hollow men and women willing to say anything but the truth just to get their ends to the mean.

2007 is my time to reclaim my humanity and rejoin reality; a program already in progress.

phair
aka
mullaney


Television news is more about scaring than educating these days. Those with the most graphic and sensationalistic coverage get the highest ratings. E's comment to your resolution was "Good. Now she can finish Savage."

Tamara

p.s. It's time to vote on the stories from the ShatterStorm Productions FemSlash Advent Calendar: The Dead of Winter 2006.

1 comment:

E said...

I also want to mention good for you on the TV thing. My cable was turned off in 1998 and hearing about today's offerings I seemed not to have missed a thing. One can always by the DVD later.

Good Luck...time makes it easier.