Thursday, January 11, 2007

Ramble from Lara Zielinsky

You read it correctly. Two ramble nights in a row, yeah and thanks! Okie and I can always use the break. Now with no further fanfare another set of splendid words by Lara Zielinsky.
My own space

No. This is not about MySpace. Though I do have one. What this is about is "my space", having a personal space. To sit. To read. To write quietly.

Where I don't have to pick all my stuff up and pack it away because I'm done and I have to let the dining room table return to "dining ready" status. Or the corner desk at work where I have to remember to put everything back where I found it when I get up from lunch break. Or the corner table at a book store or library where I have in my writing bag some of what I need (but am missing something nevertheless) to write because there is no clear place anywhere else.

I have returned to the land of the "desked". Those who have a permanent place to have their things. I have a small bookshelf, a flat clear desk, a monitor and space to hold handwritten pages (over 30 of them) that I have composed since losing my laptop monitor some four months ago.

You never really get why having a desk is so important, until it's gone.

See, in addition to my laptop monitor cracking four months ago, my house has been undergoing renovations. The major thing to lose its place in the shuffle was my desk. I carried the bills to pay around in my bag. I carried my writings around in another bag. I caught computer time here and there, but it was never enough to catch up on the backlog.

But now I have back my own space. My own chair. My own ass in it, not a pile of someone else's books, papers or detritus.

I'm raising a glass of wine and toasting my success. Now to get to work getting all the last four months of backlog into the computer and out to the world.

--
Lara Z
www.lzfiction.net


I totally agree with you Lara, one truly needs that space. Whether you write or not having your own space is something each of us should have.

Please thank these very nice folks who graciously ramble for us and, if you so desire, join them and send us your thoughts and comments.

Have a great night and enjoy the updates!

Elisa

No comments: