Friday, December 25, 2015

Happy Holidays!

Today seems as good a time as any to talk about RSS Feeds. RSS stands for Rich Site Summary. Here's a great site that explains what RSS is: www.whatisrss.com. Sadly many of the sites we check don't have an RSS feed enabled.

The best way to see if your favorite site does have an RSS feed is to use an online RSS reader. Here's a great start for sites to use: sixrevisions.com/tools/free-rss-readers/.

A few years ago, Google had an RSS news reader. Google decided not to support it any more, however, and I started using the Feedly reader. I don't know anything about the other readers listed but they should all do basically the same thing...allow you to input a favorite site and, if they've got an RSS feed, easily see new content from multiple sites at one location.

A major benefit to RSS feeds is you can also read updates from your favorite sites using news reader apps on your phone or tablet. I use the GReader Pro app and it allows me to easily check many sites that I like to follow and read the new content as soon as it appears. I would bet any web based RSS reader you find will have an equivalent app.

I hope this isn't too confusing. Feel free to hit us up with questions. I'll try to answer as best I can.

Tamara

No comments: