Tuesday, April 08, 2014

While the Chaffinch Sings on the Orchard Bough

Today was Ramanavami - hope all our Hindu readers had a good festival.

Schools broke up on Friday, for the Easter holiday. Caught me by surprise, I hadn't realised they were so close. It was only when the buses were almost empty, and so were the roads, on the way to and from work yesterday, that I realised. So I hadn't arranged anything for Barbara. So today in my lunch-break I was rushing round like a blue-arsed fly trying to organise something. With luck I'll have something for her next week.

If the weather co-operates, that is. It's been typical April-in-England weather down here - one day sunny and warm, the next heavy showers, the sunny but a bitter wind, then torrential rain all day. It's a right royal pain trying to decide what to wear. Thick jersey?? Thin?? Long sleeves?? Short?? Waterproofs?? Damn it - take the lot in the rucksack!!

Other than the weather, April is a wonderful month. Birds singing at the top of their little lungs. Looking for - and finding - a mate. Filling the air with glorious music. The summer migrants are starting to re-appear. I've seen jays, woodpeckers - my first ravens in the wild (seen the ones at the Tower of London of course, but they don't count). Robins in pairs - the only time of year you can see two robins together without them trying to kill each other. Long-tailed tits, wrens, warblers, egrets. Fantastic variety.

Though I can never spot the egrets without immediately thinking, "egrets, I've seen a few, but then again, too few to mention".

And there's your earworm for the evening!! *g*

Ze

No comments: