Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Not Everything of Value Has a Price

Not as much as usual tonight - but there's still plenty for you to read.

After last week's Barbara snippet I got an email asking if I get paid extra for the time I spend with her. Just in case anybody else was wondering the same, I thought I'd clear up any misconceptions.

I'm a self-employed sub-contractor working in the construction industry. Sometimes I work on private jobs, mostly I work on larger projects. I only get paid when I work. I don't get sick pay, I don't get holiday pay, I don't get paid for bank holidays.

I'm allowed to have her on site, and learning about various trades, as a favour from the company I sub-contract to. They let me do this because they're part of a construction industry scheme intended to boost the numbers of women in construction trades by encouraging girls (individually and as classes or groups from schools) to visit sites and see how things work. The industry doesn't fund these visits. Mainly they're funded by the schools, or from the local authority education budget.

There is no funding for individual visits. The industry relies on volunteers for those activities.

The time I spend "working" with Barbara is not considered to be work. So I don't get paid for those days. At all.

But it's worth it.

Ze

1 comment:

AuntieTaTa said...

I thoroughly enjoy following your interactions with Barbara. Keep them up and I hope you stay in her life as a mentor. I see positives for both of you during this journey.

Etta