Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Just Hanging Around.

*pokes head round corner*. Yep, it's me, just around the corner. No idea why I'm round the corner, mind you. But I am. E said so. So I must be.

But first. It's Hanuman Jayanti, we wish all or Hindu readers a good feast. It's also Pesach , we wish all our Jewish readers a happy Passover.

It's been a glorious few days here. Lovely and sunny and warm. Really felt like spring, maybe even summer. Though the temperature has dropped sharply at night. It really cheers you up when it's sunny. And I think I saw my first swallow of the year today. The house martins and swifts can't be far behind.

Of course, when I said I was going to try to sort something out for Barbara I clean forgot that Good Friday and Easter Monday would mess things up. It reduces the available time for Barbara to visit. They're both bank holidays (public holidays) in England & Wales (but not Scotland, I'm not sure about Northern Ireland, they weren't at one time but I think they are now). So no work. (Except - I'm working overtime so I will work Friday - but not Monday).

I have managed to arrange something though. I've got permission for her to come over on Maundy Thursday to learn the art of hanging doors. The internal doors we're using are very light (in other words, they're fairly insubstantial) and relatively easy to hang. The recesses for the hinges will have been chiselled out in advance, and the hinges attached to the doors. It's just a question of Barbara watching as we position the doors and support them with wedges, and then she gets to use a cordless (battery powered) screwdriver to fix the hinges while we hold the doors steady. She'll then get a certificate as apprentice door-hanger.

Her mother has promised to bring hot-cross-buns for her, me, and the carpenter.

I think we're all equally looking forward to it.

Ze

No comments: