Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Recipe Night!

I'm always looking for ways to use my too ripe bananas. I'm heartily sick of muffins and when mom found this recipe I figured what the heck. Oddly enough they're a lot like little cookie muffins. Also...I didn't add the optional chocolate chips to mine but I did add walnuts.
Banana Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup sugar
1 cup margarine
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 or 3 ripe bananas
2 cups oatmeal
1 cup chocolate chips*
Chopped nuts*

*Optional

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl, cream the butter and sugar until smooth. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. Sift together the flour, baking soda, cloves and cinnamon. Stir into the creamed mixture. Add the mashed bananas, oatmeal, chocolate chips, nuts and mix well until blended. Drop dough by rounded spoonfuls on to unprepared cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes in the oven. Remove cookies from pan to cool.


I think the next time I make these I'll try adding a little brown sugar and some raisins. Might make them more oatmeal cookie-like and less muffin-like.

Tamara

2 comments:

E said...

I made these as well with pecan and half the batch added the chocolate chips.

Go for the chocolate chips. It adds a bit of sweetness without overload (mind you coming from a person who is not fond of chocolate usually).

Anonymous said...

Another great way to use over-ripe bananas:

Cut them up into chunks or discs, put them in a plastic bag, and place in freezer for 3-4 hours or until frozen. Then you can eat them straight outta the bag, add them to ice cream, or eat with cereal and milk. Or you can put the frozen chunks in a blender with OJ, other fruit, ice, and honey and BAM! you get an instant smoothie! (Add liquor and you've got a daiquiri..)